Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The One With The Wives Tales . . .

Here's yet another post about being pregnant! :D

I have been thinking about if it will be a boy or a girl. We will for sure find out when we are able to. I have been surprised at how many people have asked me that.

Rick surprised me. When we were dating and first married, I had to beg Rick to "give" me one girl. I told him the rest can be boys, I just want one girl to be my friend (my mom and I are best friends). He finally agreed. Once we found out we were expecting, he said he wanted a girl. I couldn't believe it! About a month later, he bought a mini football and decided he wanted to give that to a boy. Silly. I'd like a girl to dress up, but of course would be happy to have either (or twins... call me crazy... but that's a whole other post...). We have had an easy time picking out a girl name (that came instantly) but the boy names haven't been sticking or fitting. I'm afraid if it's a boy we'll never pick a name. :)

I have heard some wives tales that tell you if you are having a boy or a girl or not. These are the one's I found online, or had friends tell me. Some of them are too soon to tell for me. Do you know of any more? I want to hear, if so! Take a guess on what I am having based on these signs.

Girl:
    • You had morning sickness early in pregnancy (No)
    • Your baby's heart rate is at least 140 beats per minute (I'll find out next week!)
    • You are carrying the weight in your hips and rear (Too soon to tell, but as of right now it feels like no...)
    • Your left breast is larger than your right breast (Sadly, I have to admit this one is true...)
    • Your hair develops red highlights (Is that what happened to my hair! Maybe!)
    • You are carrying high (Too soon to tell)
    • Your belly looks like a watermelon (Too soon to tell)
    • You are craving sweets (Yep!)
    • You are craving fruit (Yep!)
    • You crave orange juice (Yep!)
    • You don't look quite as good as normal during pregnancy (This is a tough one... I would say I don't, though)
    • You are moodier than usual during pregnancy (Yes, poor Rick...)
    • Your face breaks out more than usual (Yes, thank heaven my mother-in-law is an esthetician)
    • You refuse to eat the heel of a loaf of bread (Meh...)
    • Your breasts have really blossomed! (Yes!)
    • Your pillow faces south when you sleep (My pillow is at the West end of our bed...)
    • Your urine is a dull yellow color (I think that's right... but I just thought it was because I was going more often)
    • You hang your wedding ring over your belly and it moves from side to side (I'll have to try that one...)
    • You add your age at the time of conception and the number for the month you conceived and the sum is an odd number (Odd!)

    Boy:
    • You didn't experience morning sickness in early pregnancy (Nope!)
    • Your baby's heart rate is less than 140 beats per minute (Not sure yet...)
    • You are carrying the extra weight out front (Too soon to tell, but so far that's where it has been)
    • Your belly looks like a basketball (Too soon to tell)
    • Your areolas have darkened considerably (I think so... I need to check!) :)
    • You are carrying low (Too soon to tell)
    • You are craving salty or sour foods (Nope... sweet!)
    • You are craving protein -- meats and cheese (That's a tough one... maybe)
    • Your feet are colder than they were before pregnancy (They seem warmer, if anything, but it is Summer)
    • The hair on your legs has grown faster during pregnancy (I think so...)
    • Your hands are very dry (They are normal)
    • Your pillow faces north when you sleep (My pillow is at the West end of our bed...)
    • Dad-to-be is gaining weight, right along with you (That's a hard one. Too soon to tell)
    • Pregnancy has you looking better than ever (Meh, probably not)
    • Your urine is bright yellow in color (I don't think so)
    • Your nose is spreading (What does that mean?)
    • You hang your wedding ring over your belly and it moves in circles (I'll have to try that one...)
    • You are having headaches (Minor ones)
    • You add your age at the time of conception and the number for the month you conceived and the sum is an even number (Odd!)

    Others:

    • Draino crystals........ if it turns blue its a girl if it turns brown its a boy. Toxic chemicals be careful and mix outside. Works just like a pregnancy test.
    • The Chinese Gender Chart: (see below) Simply find the age of the mother at the time of conception on the chart below and then follow across to the month the baby was conceived to find the predicted gender. Although this chart is said to have a success rate of over 90 percent, keep in mind that this is solely for entertainment purposes. (May & 22 years old)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I had so much fun looking at stuff like that when I was preggo! Also, i would google pregnant celebrities pretty much every day. Actually at my baby shower we played match the baby to their famous parent, and I rocked everyones socks off!

I've heard that the chinese calendar is so accurate, but for me, it was wrong.

Woodward Family said...

All of those things seem to be wrong for us...we'll see if our baby girl ends up being a boy!!