Thursday, September 18, 2008

The One Where Carlye Called Me A Bird Murderer - AKA Birderer

I was going to post something about Dr Laura today, but this definitely takes precedence. I just got home from work and sat down to edit my post about Dr Laura, turned on some good old HGTV, then I heard a really (and I mean really) loud smack!
Side note: Working at Ames, we had mirrored windows, so birds flew into them ALL of the time. In fact, one bird flew into the window a few times each hour for a few days (weird, I know). When Rick and I went to see Seinfeld at Abravanel Hall, he made a joke about how birds fly into mirrored windows and why they don't at least avoid hitting the other bird coming at them.
So, after I heard the really (and I mean really) loud smack, I immediately sent a text regarding this momentous event to Carlye and Rick. After sharing with them, I decided I needed to share this with you. :) I went outside and sure enough the feathered animal was dead. So what did I do? I took pictures! If you would like to see them, they are down below, but I understand if you don't want to see. :)
Birds often do things like this. Even Elaine had a bird run into her "giant freaky head". The Office even got in on this action and had a bird pass, and they held a funeral service for it (I'm not touching that sucker and having my own funeral service, btw. I am sure the cats will get to it before I go to bed tonight anyway...), and for your enjoyment, I have posted some quotes of that episode down below.

The Office:
Toby: Michael, look, I know this is hard for you but that's just a part of life. Just this morning I saw a little bird fly into the glass doors downstairs and die. And I had to keep going.
Michael: How do you know?
Toby: What?
Michael: That that bird was dead. Did you check its breathing?
Toby: It's obvious.
Michael: Was its heart beating, Toby? Did you check it? No, of course you didn't. You're not a veterinarian. You don't know anything!
-----
Pam: What do we know about this bird? You might think, not much, it’s just a bird. But we do know some things. We know it was a local bird. Maybe it’s that same bird that surprised Oscar that one morning with a special present from above.
Kevin: I remember that, that was so funny.
Pam: And we know how he died. Flying into the glass doors. But you know what, I don’t think he was being stupid. I think he just really, really wanted to come inside our building. To spread his cheer and lift our spirits with a song.
Dwight: It’s not a songbird.
Michael: Shhhh.
Pam: An impression then. Lastly, we can’t help but notice that he was by himself when he died. But, of course, we all know that doesn’t mean he was alone. Because I’m sure that there were lots of other birds out there who cared for him very much. He will not be forgotten.

No Guts, Not Glory!!

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Sad! Poor little bird. At least he didn't get squashed on the sidewalk under someone's shoe!

I love Kevin! I think he's my favorite. He's hilarious. Can't wait for the new season!

Carlye said...

I don't know if you are really a birderer. I think maybe it committed suicide.

Michelle said...

lol, I think you are right.

Melanie said...

You might not be a birderer...but you might be a little morbid....taking pictures of a little dead birdie. LOL! I might have done the same thing.